Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Asheville Night Out

Last night Jon and I went out to dinner with our friend, Davis, in Asheville. We went to a delicious local restaurant called Salsa's. I. Love. Salsa's. It's a Caribbean-Mexican restaurant that uses lots of fresh ingredients and some seriously spicy peppers to make a lot of really fantastic food. Their drinks aren't so bad either.


We started the night with some drinks: Peach margarita for me, beer for Jon, Asheville Lemonade for Davis. The Asheville Lemonade was very Asheville: moonshine and lemonade.

Next came a trio of salsas. We chose Guacamole, Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa, and Pineapple Habenero Salsa. Have you ever cooked with habaneros? I have. Just a heads up, in case you haven't, don't accidentally rub your eyes after you cut them. Ask me how I know.....

Despite the names, the salsas aren't torture. They are deliciously blended with plenty of fruit flavor with just a bit of a kick. We ate it so fast I couldn't take a picture. We liked it.

All that was left by the time my phone made an appearance.
We all got quesadillas for our main course. Jon's had lamb and goat cheese and peppers. Mine was pulled pork, cheese, avocados, and a pineapple chutney. YUM.

It was every bit as good as it looks. x1000
We weren't content to let the night end there. It has rained ever day in July. Asheville got the same amount of rain they average in 1 year within about a week and a half. Yesterday the sun was shining and it was beautiful so we wandered around the corner to Marble Slab and got some ice cream. After that we went to a park in the middle of town and people watched.

We are excited about some ice cream.
If you've never been to Asheville, the people watching is prime. Hippies, businessmen, children, dogs. Sometimes there's even a man in a nun outfit (with a mini skirt) who rides a tall bike through town (we think he's part of a comedy bus tour. Maybe.).

Those are basketball "grapes." "Why?" you ask. Why not? It's Asheville.
The Hipster and The Hippie. A fine example of Asheville folk.
The night was so fun we decided to make it a weekly tradition. Asheville has tons of really good local restaurants. I can't wait to try more of them! Come visit us and we'll take you to one!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! How fun! And I still want that margarita......

    ReplyDelete